Steinhardt IT provides the client with information to make an informed decision about what technology device to purchase.
- List of university or school recommended devices.
- After consultation, suggest alternatives based on specific technology need.
- Discuss and agree to a security protocol for the device. This includes physical security as well as data security.
- Make sure client is aware of the University guidelines for various levels of restricted data and discuss role of device with respect.
- Hardware/devices purchase with NYU funds are considered an asset of the University.
- Devices must be purchased with full service warranty.
- (At this time, Dell devices should be purchased with 4 years and Apple with 3 years coverage.)
Phase: Upon receiving device
Steinhardt IT “on-boards” the device in order to ensure ease of management for the end user while simultaneously protecting NYUs/Steinhardt’s devices and data.
- Install KACE (inventory and management program)
- Create a “SteinAdmin” Account- with permission of user, this account is required to assist in remote support as well as software updates.
- Install university software - Although there are very few University wide software licenses, Steinhardt purchases licenses for selected software items.
- Ensure that security settings and protocol to protect University Data.
Phase: While device is in use
Steinhardt IT assists the client/user in managing and troubleshooting the device.
- Troubleshooting hardware
- Troubleshooting software
- Adding software - if licensed.
- Manage operating system and most software updates via KACE
- Steinhardt IT acts as point-of-contact for warranty information
- Steinhardt IT will provide best effort service for device owners including help with email and walk in assistance.
- Steinhardt IT is not a certified Dell or Apple repair service and can not make any hardware repairs on machine, but will act as point of contact for warranty repairs.
Phase: End of warranty or employee separation
Steinhardt IT “off-boards” the device in order to securely remove all NYU/Steinhardt digital assets and to prepare for use outside of the university life cycle.
- Remove all university data from the device
- Remove KACE.
- Remove SteinAdmin Account.
- Remove university software.
- Appropriate disposal and environmental recycling of NYU Asset.
- If device is replaced by a new device or is taken out of service, Steinhardt IT must record the “decommissioning” of the device.
- If the device still bears a valid warranty, Steinhardt IT will scrub all proprietary or personal data and may re-assign the device to another office or user.
- When there is no valid warranty, Steinhardt IT will assume responsibility of “off-boarding” the device. This may include removing NYU software licenses, securely cleaning the machine and wiping the hard drive.
- We will work with NYU Asset Management office to dispose of the device, and we will assure that the device is environmentally recycled according to NYU standards.